View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Thepoolmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I see this from a somewhat different perspective.

I don't think we "have" to come out of this with the perfect deal.

To me, we have a golden opportunity to turn what was a 2nd round pick into something much greater. It's not like all of our hope for the future has been centered on Ryan O'Reilly carrying us. That burden falls on Duchene's shoulders.

ROR was a diamond in the rough, so to speak. If we lose him for less than the optimal deal, we still get back more than what we put in -- a 2nd round pick. We could end up with a stud defenseman, a bust prospect, and a 2nd round pick. And we'd still have more than we started with. And we have been pretty lucky with 2nd round picks. For all we know, that 2nd rounder could turn out to be another ROR/Stastny type of player.

And if that line of thinking doesn't work, then here's another way to look at it. We're giving up our 3rd line Center. We'll get better than a 3rd line Center in return. Oh, I know he is better than a 3rd line Center, but that's what he is here. A great 3rd line Center.

Look at what we're giving up in terms of here and now, and the role he has on this team, instead of looking at the potential he has, and the role he will play on another team.

We will get back better than a 2nd round pick or a 3rd line Center.

No worries.
I agree with this. The biggest advantage of trading ROR for a defenseman is that it pushes our defenseman down. When EJ comes back and if we get someone else like MDZ or JJ our defense would actually look respectable.

ROR trade asset EJ
Hejda Barrie
Zanon Elliott

Even if the prospect we get busts having this would be worth it.