View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Wrong. We used a 2nd rounder and three years of money and time developing him into a top-tier player. In the long run, picks don't matter nearly as much as talent development. So the value in return for O'Reilly has to address the value lost, not only in the pick but in the vital role he played and the time/money spent in his development. I seriously don't see the opportunity to make this loss into something greater. I think the Avs lose out no matter what.

Shea Weber was a 2nd round pick. I think we can all agree that if he were traded there'd be little chance to parlay that into something greater unless it was on the level of a Lindros deal.
His opinion is not flat out wrong... Just because he has a different opinion towards it does not make it wrong.

Now I tend to agree that once a player is drafted there draft round has no bearing on them anymore, and its more about what the player becomes, but that doesn't make his opinion any less right.

I also somewhat agree with him, if we were to trade ROR for Kulikov or MDZ as the basis for deals, it would be a sign that we have taken ROR and increased his value to that of a Top draft pick or other young top talent. So we have done a good job with ROR and increased the value of that asset.

His opinion is just as correct as yours.