Thread: Value of: Couturier
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
You do realize that Couturier's season last year was pretty incredible, right?

Not for the offensive aspect, but for his defensive play.

Among 2011 draftees, Couturier:

-Highest SH TOI/G (2:41/G, next highest was Landeskog at 1:20/G)
-Lowest offensive zone start %. Only started 40% of his shifts in the offensive zone, which was the 24th lowest among all forwards who played 70 games.
-Was 2nd in terms of quality of competition (behind Landeskog). Couturier was 68th among all forwards with 70 games in terms of quality of competition.

His most frequent linemates last year? Max Talbot and Zac Rinaldo.

For comparison, Landeskog's most frequent linemates were: Ryan O'Reilly & Milan Hejduk and RNH got to play with Eberle and Hall.

He was not put in a position to succeed offensively. That was not his job. Any young rookie put in his situation would not have put up amazing numbers.
Obviously he wasn't put in the place to exceed offensively. But that doesn't mean you can't show offensive capability. I don't see elite offensive potential in him. As I said, it's not about his stat line, it's about what I've actually seen when he plays. Why is that such a big deal?

BTW, Jordan Staal had a pretty spectacular rookie season. Elite offensive player though? No. Best player from his draft? No. Top 3 player from his draft? No. Why do people act like that comparison is an insult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
There's a reason Couturier is included in about 50 trade proposals from opposing teams' fans every day: players like him are extremely rare and valuable. What people consider an "overpayment" is close to fair market value considering his unique skill set. And then you would still have to add, because Philadelphia has no interest in trading him. Simply put, we know you want him, but you can't have him.
What else are posters supposed to ask for when Flyer fans are asking for their young, up and coming d-men? Giroux? Of course their asking for Couturier (and B. Schenn). Other teams don't have any interest in trading their players either... i.e., when Flyer fans ask for OEL. You have to overpay for other teams players as well, instead of offering Voracek+, Simmonds+, Read+.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote