View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The "draft depth" thing is just a myth for the most part. Rarely can you project the strength of a draft class 2 or 3 years after the fact, let alone before its actual draft day.

There are a lot of very good kids in the first round, and the top-10 or 12 all project to have very big upside. As you get into the 2nd and 3rd round, I see a lot of project picks with big upside, but less polish. With 4 guaranteed picks in the 2nd and 3rd round at the moment, I think we'll see the team roll the dice quite a bit. "Boom or bust" will be the phrase thrown around all weekend by the media reporting on the Rangers, IMO.
This draft although is a good one compared to last year and 2014 from what it seems like. I can agree that their are many projects out there, but I have noticed plenty of guys with huge upsides and great size. The other noticeable thing is how many great overagers there are this year. I was surprised when looking at last year's draft on how many guys weren't picked last year that are available this year. (Myles Bell, Anton Slepyshev for example and for the Rangers sake.) This draft has plenty of REALLY good overragers that could either be drafted or signed to a contract that could be great picks in the later rounds. Just all around depth coming from these leagues.