View Single Post
02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Meh, I never put much thought into rankings by the hockey media. Remember at one point how the Kings were highly ranked with the likes of Jared Aulin, Yanick Lehoux, Denis Grebeshkov, Jeff Tambellini, etc. all in the pipeline? And today, not a single one of them is in the NHL.
Originally Posted by tigermask48
This is the magazine that once ranked Brian Boyle, and Lauri Tukonen above Matt Moulson and Teddy Purcell.
Over time, I've become less a fan of their rankings but enjoy the issue nonetheless. But just to defend THN, they do poll scouts/NHL execs to formulate their rankings. So it's not like the ranking is just based off of a single writer.

I can only imagine the composite rankings being pretty ugly to look at. Typically they poll ~20 people. The year that Alex Pietrangelo was the #1 prospect, half of the respondents didn't list him in their top 5's.

The team's top 10 is also provided by the club themselves. So I wouldn't blame THN for some of the past rankings. It's not uncommon that teams will put a bit of a PR spin with the list. In particular, the Islanders omitted Kevin Poulin and Casey Cizikas in recent issues. Internally the club had them as top 10 prospects within the system, but hadn't yet signed them to contracts. So they didn't want to list Poulin as say #5 only to have him possibly re-enter the Draft in two months.

Carolina similarly did this with goalie Frederik Andersen last year. Some Hurricanes' posters were incensed that THN didn't list Andersen among their top 10 after he had a terrific season in the SEL. But more than likely, Carolina knew that they were having difficulty signing him.

Originally Posted by Perro
I will take Barren shelves and a chanpionship over loaded for potential anyday of the week.
Totally agree. The Future Watch issue is usually fun for bragging rights, but most fans on here make the bad assumption that prospects will all pan out.

I love this picture from the 2001 Future Watch:

Back then, Edmonton had a solid young core coming. Meanwhile Detroit had one of the worst prospect pools in the league. All they had were some guys named Kronwall, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk.

Picture courtesy of HabsFan18's awesome 'old Future Watch' thread:

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote