View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
My biggest struggle with modern music right now is the auto-tune computerized function that a lot of modern pop, rock, and even country artists have been using to record their studio bits.

Not a lot of people can hear the slightly synthesized nature of their voices, but for some reason, I've always been able to tell. I dated a music major in college and the school got a brand new auto-tune synthesizer that she thought was amazing. Couldn't really tell, she said... I said I could so she put together 20 different samples and I correctly identified all of them as either natural or auto-tuned.

What burns my chops even more is when the vocal track isn't 100% auto-tuned and just certain notes are to achieve the tone they are looking for... Yes, I am talking about Nickelback here. One of their more popular songs has a few high notes and a few lower notes auto-tune and only those notes. Can't. Stand. Listening. To. It.
I don't mind autotune when it's done over-the-top and the use of it is intended to be obvious/ a stylistic choice.

But seriously,
If you can't hit a note, don't write it into the music. Stage singers have to edit(well really I doubt they themselves edit) songs to fit in their range, and you know what, those songs aren't any worse because of it.