View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
At the beginning of the season, I was hoping for 3. Moen – Eller – Gionta as our tough minutes eating line so, here and here alone (!), I agree with you. A 3rd line of Prust – Eller – Gionta would be great!

However Galchenyuk needs ice-time and sheltered minutes so we need to spread our forces on 4 lines. Playing Gionta on 3rd (Galchenyuk is not ready to assume top 2 lines duties and he can’t play on 4th because he needs TOI) with Galchenyuk in a sheltered role would be a waste of Gionta's sound two ways play imo. Right now Eller is a better player than 19 years old Galchenyuk but I totally understand why they kept him with the big club and mid/long terms, it will pay dividend... to the team, Galchenyuk and Eller.

When you wrote “... you actually have to let them be on their way up...”, I guess you were referring to Gionta “obstructing” the way to Eller, right? Well here I disagree again! Eller is growing right before our eyes and he is currently playing his best hockey since he joined us. His play on 3rd/4th often is the main reason why we win games: our bottom lines are better than most of our opponents’ bottom lines with Eller in the line up.

Long story short:

19 years old Galchenyuk is learning
Elller, another young player, is playing his best hockey since joining us
Plekanec’s line is doing a great job
The team is winning

I like the mix and depth upfront but I sure don’t think that everything is perfect. You are right: looking for ways to improve must be a continuous process. I just don’t think that Gionta is on top of the list of priorities. In fact, I think he isn't on the freakin' list!
Not sure I get this. Gionta STRONG 2-WAY PLAY would be a waste alongside a young and still learning Galchenyuk on a 3rd line? How is that? Wouldn't Galchenyuk learn from Gionta? Wouldn't Gionta repair some of the defensive blunders that Gally will make? If Gionta does have an offensive game as some will like to believe...wouldn't he be contributing with Gally? And for some who hopes more offensive like me...wouldn't play with a younger guy like Gally be even profitable for Gionta? I really don't get your point.

And a Eller who is now shining...couldn't he shine even more with guys like Pleks and Bourque. Why limit yourself to see what the ceiling of this or that player can be? And the fact that Eller is shining so much means that we then have a stronger bottom 6 than a lot of teams...okay....but what about putting Gionta there instead? Isn't he supposed to be a top 2-way player? How's Eller more valuable on a bottom 6 than Gionta? For whoever wants to "spread" the talent....isn't it probably even MORE spreading the talent?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote