Thread: Proposal: Nsh/edm
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALee10 View Post
I'm not an Oilers fan, but I like the core that Edmonton has working for them. It has tons of potential and I'm excited to see what they'll look like in a year or two.

That being said, I have a question for Edmonton fans about the future of their team, and I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just curious about your input. Eberle and Hall both received 6M contracts, both deserved because they're very good, but how are you guys going to make a shrinking salary cap work in the near future when you have to re-sign guys like Smid and MPS and then Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov and Schultz. It's a good situation to have, having so many quality players but if you sign Hall to 6M for 50+ points in 60 games and hedging on growth, what can Nugent-Hopkins demand? What about Yakupov? Is there a worry about becoming too top heavy? You're setting a precedent of signing very young players to very large contracts and as a Caps fan I understand the risk of not getting the dollar value back in the form of equivalent production.

TheOilers are well positioned capwise. The first crunch might come in 2014-2015 when RNH and Schultz are up. My guess is that RNH gets $6M with term since I think they will try to treat all of the kids very much alike.

Schultz may get $6M but may also get something like 2 years at $5M.

The saving grace for the Oilers is that they have a buch of kids coming into the lineup to fill the bottom slots on the roster. On good thing about Paajarvi's slower developmnent is that he probably signs for short term at relatively low dollars. Similarly with Lander and Hartikianen.

So here is a rough idea of what the salary situation might be in 2014-2015. I have assumed a modest 5% increase in the cap and have left Gagner and Hemsky in their slots. I also assumed that Horcoff is bought out in 2014 if necessary...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Nail Yakupov ($3.775m) / Sam Gagner ($4.000m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.300m)/ Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
Ben Eager ($1.100m)/ Anton Lander ($1.000m) / Teemu Hartikainen ($1.000m)
Lennart Petrell ($0.825m) / Ryan Martindale ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ladislav Smid ($3.800m) / Justin Schultz ($6.000m)
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Jeff Petry ($3.000m)
Oscar Klefbom ($1.275m) / Mark Fistric ($1.475m)
Martin Marincin ($0.870m) /
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
Backup Goalie ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,800,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,047,500; BONUSES: $3,570,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,322,500

As you can see there is a lot of room for changes and upgrades.

Again, this is in part why I do not see the Oilers moving a guy like Paajarvi unless they really like the deal. He will be a cheap player that can fill a fiar number of roles if he keeps progressing.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote