View Single Post
02-21-2013, 07:20 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Hey guys, I was watching the game yesterday and was surprised to find that Hitch paired Jackman and Polak. I also saw Russell and Shattenkirk paired together at times too. Those are some, uh, interesting choices. Can anyone explain the thinking behind them?
I thought Jackman/Polak was a great shut-down pairing back a couple years, prior to Hitchcock, but that they weren't good enough in transition under his system.

2 things come to mind.

1) Jackman is playing very well right now, and I think he's functioning well enough in transition to allow for this pairing.
2) That losing streak showed off the warts on the Blues D-corps. Hitchcock needed a reliable shut-down pairing to put out Polak/Jackman were re-united. I don't think it will last long, though. Once the team gets playing Blues hockey like last year, I think we'll see Jackman/Shattenkirk paired together again. Probably Redden/Polak and Cole/Pietro. Russell is playing himself out of the line-up, although I do think he was one of the few guys with some gas in the tank in the 3rd period vs Colorado.