Thread: Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0
View Single Post
Old
02-21-2013, 06:33 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Those players could be very valuable, especially when you're trying to roll three scoring lines. You don't need to have two-way players dominate your top-6. You can have two responsible players with another one dimensional tweener to excel. You have three of those and you have three scoring lines, as opposed to our quality top-6 and a useless gritty bottom-6. Grabner, Wellwood, Gerbe - players like that. A player like Parenteau would have probably never made it on the Sharks; then again he didn't make it in Chicago or NY either.
You don't need two-way players necessarily (though a good coach will quickly tire of players who are irresponsible defensively, which Kennedy can be), but you need multi-dimensional players. Two-way play is just one of those dimensions.

Ryane Clowe is an example of this. He's not great defensively, but offensively, he's multi-talented. When at his best, he's physical, he can dominate the boards, he can cycle or play off the transition, he has a great shot, he is a good passer, etc. He's also a leader who can fight.

I don't neccessariy think that Grabner, Wellwood, or Gerbe fit your definition. A tweener would be someone like a Plihal (low-end), or Ferriero, or Kaspar. Actually, I am rescinding my comment about Ekman...guy was closer to a Clowe than a tweener...

In any case, do you really think SJ had a Grabner or Wellwood sitting in the system that they didn't give ice time to?

In a way, I see your argment. As I type this, I am rethinking my stance. I would agree that having a "tweener" is OK as long as his linemates compliment him well. However, I think that over time, that player is going to fall out of favor. As soon as injuries or transactions force him into another role, he's going to fail...