View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
The thing that confuses me is the whole "safe is death" notion that was so heavily invested in Tortorella when he came here. Obviously when we signed him, our team was pretty poor so this grind it out style worked better. But look at the team we have now, I don't understand how we can't open up the game with the talent on this team. Watching Richards, Gaborik, Stepan, etc. just work and work and work down low until one mishap and the opposition is breaking out. Either that, or they just take some poor angled shot from the boards just hoping that it will go in or create some sort of jumble in front of the net where the puck is bouncing everywhere. Our defense is top notch, especially our top 4. Maybe not go "safe is death" where we start giving up our defensive ways and start playing like Pitt/Phi games like last night but allow our guys to get a little creative.
I think the players have to get comfortable with Torts, and more importantly, Torts has to get comfortable with the players before he can loosen the reins so to speak.

There are so many new forwards this year. Everyone just needs time. It obviously sucks that players like Richards and Gaborik haven't been lighting it up (to say the least) but it's still early enough.

Other people have brought it up and it's true: I think the lockout screwed us over more than most other teams. A lot of turnaround in our forward corps+no training camp=what we've been seeing thus far.

I still have confidence in Torts and this team. Come playoffs I doubt anyone will want to face us.