Thread: OT: Jason Garrison
View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 01:47 AM
medgett

vCash: 500
Funny how things work out. I just posted in the GDT that I think Garrison must read HF

I thought that was easily his best game as a canuck. I didn't actually see the third, but after watching the first two periods, I'm not suprised to see him involved in the offence. I thought he still looked slow back to the puck on a few occasions and he really struggles on the end boards turning to find a play. He had an opportunity on the PK to turn and make an easy clear and instead he opted to ring it around where Goligoski kept it in. This might be a weakness in his game, but tonight he continued to show that he is quite capable in coverage and positions himself well to deny passes and rebound opportunities around his net. Also, probably my biggest complaint regarding his play has been that he is very slow to follow the play up. I don't necessarily mean joining rushes, I just mean supporting the play. Tonight, he was much much better at this. Twice in the first period, there were examples where our forwards lost the puck in the neutral zone and he was there to play it in deep so we could get a forecheck on. On one occasion, he was up with the play with the Sedins and since Burrows had filled in behind, he was the first one in on the forecheck. It didn't necessarily work out, but he was in a position to make a play where most of the season, he is hanging well back unable to contribute. I thought the goal was a bit of a SNAFU. There's a number of things that led to it, Booth is late coming back on his man, Schroeder loses Ryder when the rebound comes out, and Ballard overplays the man to the outside leaving Garrison 2 on 1 down low, and ultimately, the goalie probably needs to have that one. There's really no play for him here.

There's still some clunky bits to his game, but he looked a lot more like a $4.6m guy tonight. Hopefully he can bring this kind of game consistently.

medgett is offline   Reply With Quote