View Single Post
02-22-2013, 03:16 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
All I know is that our team defense will once again be our downfall.

What is it about this team (players, strategy ... ?) that has led to a consistent difficulty with clearing the puck from our own zone (year after year)? Anyone have any ideas because I'm lost on this one?
The Sharks have tended to take the safe way on defense and breakout strategy generically. There are a lot of details. They are quick to use the hard around under pressure. A lot of d to d in prior years as well. They have relied heavily on using the left side boards for their exits. It ends with a lot of pucks getting out but just coming back in shortly after they change lines.

One of my issues with Vlasic is that he comes up well defensively but leaves the hard work to the next pair as his outlets are that poor and he falls back on the hard around/up the boards far too much. The eyeball test for defenders in this regard is to watch them select their escape, skating or type of outlet, and see how quickly they arrive at their decision relative to their brethren on the blueline. See if they look ahead before they secure the puck. The look ahead is what gives many an advantage for the decision that will come less than 2 seconds later.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote