View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 03:23 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No, I agree with you. Several of the skills that made him a good top-4 defenseman have vanished in the past two seasons.

1) Positioning. He used to make up for foot speed with strong positioning and the ability to recognize when he needed to haul ass before the opposing player got going.

2) Choosing when to hit. The thing I used to love about Murray is that he never sacrificed defensive positioning to make a hit. He'd rarely get caught stepping up to make a hit when the puck wasn't there. Now, he chooses terrible times to step up.

3) Outlet passing. He used to have a pretty good outlet pass that made up for a lot of his offensive deficiencies. Somehow, he forgot how to get the puck out of the zone overnight.
When Murray was outletting well, he would not only win the battle but would supershield the puck while he could decide the outlet. He was good in the sense of not missing, but he wasn't quick about it. With what you and sry10 are saying, I suspect his ability to battle has slipped and he isn't getting the step on the superprotection he would have on the puck and stick.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote