View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 06:11 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Before landing next to Chara; Seidenberg was considered a #4/5 PMD D man in the same mold as Colaiacovo. Stick him next to Chara and all of a sudden he's some great steady D man who plays a "simple game" and keeps the puck out of danger area's.

Much as I love Brooks Orpik, he has never been considered anything more than a good #3. Everybody knows he has nothing to offer on offense.
Much as I love Willie Mitchell, he has never been considered more than a good #3. He has durability issue's when you ask him to play more than 20-22 minutes a night(sounds a lot like Jackman if you ask me).

And Aaron Ward? Are you seriously trying to give Aaron Ward some kind of hype here?
The guy was a fringe #5 guy who made a road pylon look mobile and couldn't keep himself off the IR. He played next to Frank Kaberle because he was the only D man on their team who Kaberle felt comfortable "roaming" next to.

Sorry; Seidenberg, Orpik, Mitchell and Ward are every bit the same type and caliber of D men that Volchenkov/Grossman/Murray/Regehr are. Put any of them next to Pietrangelo, let them simplify their game and you'll be surprised at just how much they "improve".

Also, I'd argue that Grossman might be a perfect fit both stylistically and in terms of Quality. The guy has turned himself into an extremely solid defensive D man, is every bit as mobile as Cole is and has an extremely heavy shot when he manages to get it through. I don't hesitate for a second in saying he's on the same level as Polak, and Polak would be an ideal partner for Pie if he could play the left side. Right now, Grossman is my #1 target if I'm Army. He's exactly the caliber and style of D man that we need next to Pietrangelo and he has a team friendly contract for the next 3 years.
100% agree. The strongest D the Blues ever had was when we had Scott Stevens...not just because of Scott Stevens, but because you had Snepsts, Dirk, Featherstone, as well. No one WANTED to get in front of the net or even close to it. Then you add in a Jeff Brown and Paul Cavallini that could move the puck. They complemented each other. Russell and Shattenkirk? Park your camper in front of the net. Grossman is an ideal fit for the Blues.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote