View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
I am really concerned about the C spot for the Blues. Faceoffs continue to be a big issue. We dominate possession, force a FO in the other teams zone, just to lose the FO and let the other team off the hook. Late in the game or in OT where every FO is important, I have no confidence that our guys are gonna make life easier on themselves and win the FO.

I also think the lines aren't quite right. Backes, to me, even when he scores more, isn't a first line center...winger, maybe, if he's the complementary physical guy. We have too many guys who are hybrid C/Winger and seem more suited to wing: Steen, Backes, MacDonald. (Sobotka actually looks pretty good in either role, but less expectation is placed on him as well).

Not sure what the answer is or who would be available, but seems like we have a glut of wingers and need help on the D and C.
The idea of what a #1C, #2C & #3C are really need to change. If the Backes line can shut down the opposition first line and our second and third lines are better than the opposition... we are in a good position. Faceoffs are certainly an issue, but I don't really care that we aren't built with the traditional idea of what a certain player is.

We do need another C, but I'd be a little surprised to see us make a move big enough to address that need before the deadline.

It is frustrating that the NHL rules don't allow us to sign Lehterä for the remainder of the season, despite the fact it looks like his KHL season will be over in a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
Lots of insights here.

If I'm reading this correctly, Pieterangelo's partner has to be more of a complimentary peice then a top two defenseman due to the assets that would be required and the top dollars that he would command.

As for the second half of my original post that seemed to be read over, could this be the window for the Blues for a cup run. If so, would it be time to mortgage the futur for the missing peices, and which prospects would be used as trade bait?

Thanks
We are certainly not going to go down that route. Keeping our picks and developing our prospects is the best way to keep costs down while putting out a competitive team. Everyone is available in the right deal, but I expect moving our high picks/prospects will be a rarity.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote