View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 08:33 AM
WJC_Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Lidstrom and Rafalski only played together on the PP.
Lidstrom played primarily with Kronwall, Rafalski primarily with Stuart or Ericsson.

Pronger and MacInnis only played together on the PP.
MacInnis played with guys like Jackman, Salvador, Bergevin and Baron.
Pronger played with guys like Persson, Reirden, Finley and whoever our scrub of the day was at the time(Sean Hill, Dave Ellott, etc...).

Let's look at the top pairings from the last 10 Cup Champs.
Doughty-Mitchell
Chara-Seidenberg
Keith-Seabrook
Letang-Orpik
Lidstrom-Kronwall
Pronger-Neidermayer
Kaberle-Ward
Kubina-Sydor
Neidermayer-Stevens
Lidstrom-Chelios

I don't know about you, but I see a pattern with all of those pairings; a PMD and a crease clearer.

You might want to talk up the puck moving ability of guys like Chara, Pronger, and Weber; but their main attribute was their ability to effectively clear the crease, not their offensive prowess. What we need next to Pietrangelo is an effective creae clearer; not another PMD. Learn from history people and quit chasing after the "next big name".

This is about what we need, not how good an individual player might be. Guys like Yandle, OEL, Greene and Gardiner are great players; but they are the exact opposite of what we need. What we need is some legit beef on the blueline who can throw down when games start getting physical. Jackman and Polak have proven they can't fill that role. This team already has more than enough offensive ability on the Blueline. Adding more offense isn't going to help us. We need size and a willingness to use it.

As I said; for what we need, give me the Volchenkov/Regehr/Murray/Grossman type over a Gardiner/OEL/Yandle/Greene type any day. Another stud offensive D man isn't going to help us clear the crease or win a battle in the corners and THAT is what is costing us games.

Look at the King's last season. Scuderi, Greene, and Mitchell were part of every pairing. Our forwards could not get any traffic in front of Quick. I think Grossman would be a great fit but the Flyers need defense and I cannot see him being moved. What about O'Byrne or O'Brien with Colorado? I do not want to make a deal that costs us Cole or Schwartz. A deal for a Giordano-type will cost us that. I think the pairing of Russell and Shattenkirk needs to go. Cole has had some struggles but we are not losing because of him.

WJC_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote