View Single Post
02-22-2013, 08:58 AM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Originally Posted by 19 for president View Post
Right now this team is not set up to win. So the question has to be asked of what we are doing for the rest of this season, and a decision needs to be made.

1. Start the rebuild. This means dealing off any spare older parts that the Wings can, and starting to play the kids that are at least mentally ready. This means Smith (once healthy), Lashoff, Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar should all be playing (both 5 on 5 and on special teams). This means that players like Miller, Sammy, Bert, Cleary, and Eaves should all be benched or moved so that the above players have spots. You call up guys like Sheahan, Mrzaek and Ferraro to get in a few games here and there. I'd also consider dealing Flip if the Wings can, especially for a center or dman of a similar age (25-29). I'd also consider dealing Franzen if we could get a solid deal for him. Dats is likely gone in a year and the Wings will be lucky if Zetterberg can remain at season after another season or two. Right now only Jarnkrok is looking like a true top 6 center (perhaps Sheahan). This is why I'd totally accept a Weiss for Flip trade if we could resign him.

2. Say no we are going to make the playoffs and fix this roster. Immediately trade for a defensive D than can play with Kronner. I don't care if he is old or slow. Lashoff is not a number 2 dman (he's probably and ok 6). We need a legit defensive dman that can play heavy minutes on the PK (thus taking Kronner off of it) and will allow Kronwall to play his game. Stop fing around with the offensive voids that are Cleary and Abs and put players that have at least exuded some offensive talent in the top 6. I'm looking at Eaves and Tatar. Heck I'd even try Tootoo up there as he at least can provide an energy spark. Stop putting Brunner out in areas where he will fail defensively IE the point on the PP and out late in tied or close games. If Helm doesn't look like he is going to be back soon, you also need to trade for a center. 4th or 3rd line, I don't care but Abby cannot play center. If cannot do the above then you move to option 1 and start doing something productive.

As a fan I could handle either option but failing to do either is a waste of a season. The Wings cannot afford to lose a season. And Bob you are entirely right, the media needs to start forcing these points/ questions.

I pick option 1. Like others have said we won't need a "Full Rebuild" in the form of Edmonton, Chicago, Pittsburgh. We have some parts. What we need is a couple of our prospects to turn into what they are projected. Tatar I think is a lock to be at least a top 6 winger, ideally 2nd line. If we play all our young guys now....we will probably get a lottery pick hopefully top 5. It's a short season so we wouldn't have to put up with the ineptitude for very long.

-Trade Filpulla for a pick, hope like hell someone offers a 1st round, but I would settle for a mean stay at home defenseman.
- Trade Kindl or LET HIM PLAY.
- Let Sammy/Cleary/Mursak go or trade them

Hope like hell you can some how land Seth Jones in the draft. We would have to tank hard but for one season I can deal with it.

Throw everything you've got at one of either Getzlaf or Perry if they reach free agency. Don't try the low ball crap. Make an offer that will NOT be beat.

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote