View Single Post
02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
No real order. I guess my list has nothing in common with stoner rock, but the OP has Thergothon...

Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma.
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency.
Anathema - The Silent Enigma.
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light.
My Dying Bride -
Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte.
Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance.
Mournful Congregation - The Book of Kings.
The 3rd and the Mortal - Tears Laid in Earth.
Autumn - Осень вечна.
Люди Осени - Восстание.
I think you forgot one of the My Dying Brides.

Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
My Dying Bride-Turn Loose the Swans
Candlemass-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Cathedral-Forest of Equilibrium
Disembowelment-Transcendence Into the Peripheral
Black Sabbath-Volume 4
Mournful Congregation-The Monad of Creation
Skepticism-Lead and Aether
Katatonia-Brave Murder Day

Electric Wizard-Dopethrone Holy Dopethrone
Eternal Elysium-Spiritualism D
Kyuss-Welcome to Sky Valley
Electric Wizard-S/T
Sleep-Holy Mountain

can't think of any other stoner stuff, I'm not that big on it.
That Disembowelment is another one I may have included in my list if I heard it more. Once or twice on youtube doesn't cut it.

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Stoner and doom can be two completely different things to me. Something like Candlemass or Daylight Dies sounds nothing like The Sword or early Mastodon before they went all prog and artsy.
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Huh...I thought Eyehategod are more "Sludge" instead of Doom or stoner??? The only "stoner" thing about EHG IMO, are their lyrics about addiction and even those could be considered more "junkie" and not stoner.

Besides, if you're gonna namedrop Eyehategod OP, you cannot leave out their "Take As Needed For Pain" album. It's a masterpiece.
Ah genre talk, the vampire that just won't die.

I think of it like this:

blues --> rock --> metal

Each spring out of the other organically and nonlinearly (i.e. the progression is more like a dynamic web than this simplification). Black Sabbath is sort of between rock and metal (stoner rock) and sludge is sort of between stoner rock and doom metal. So it is implied that sludge is included in the thread title of stoner / doom. In short they are similarities and differences between the genres and it is not cut and dried.

Also MHPF, I don't include repeats on these sorts of lists. I just put in my fave / the one I think is best. I agree the first three Eyehategod albums are comparable. I think Take as Needed for Pain is actually my least favorite of the three.

Last edited by Hippasus: 02-22-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote