View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Not sure about that--I've been to Nuggets and Avs games in recent years, and the energy levels are completely different.

Too often at Avs games (even when they were still a dominant NHL franchise) you get "fans" who only stand when the jumbotron tells them to. I remember going to an Avs game and this couple sat next to me. Any time I even bothered to raise my voice, they both looked at me like I was crazy. They just sat there the whole time like they were at a movie theatre. Every now and then I'm quite pleased when there are fans sitting near us who are actually loud and into the game.

Nuggets games, on the other hand, were always raucous affairs, and the place would EXPLODE after a big basket. Sure, fans cheer whenever the Avs scored, but it's just not the same.

Ticket prices and catering to corporate block sales make a big difference here. The Avs far too often ignore their very passionate fanbase or just plain price themselves out of those fans' price range. So instead you get doofuses who merely got their tickets as a gift from a company and don't know or don't really care about the game. That may be less of an Avalanche problem and more of an NHL problem, but I would (naively) hope that a fringe benefit of two lockouts would be more sensible ticket prices.
I agree that Avs marketing team is trash and it's front office is way to secretive for absolutely no reason what so ever. Also forgive me considering I was a baby during Nuggets golden years, but I don't think they have set the longest sellout streak in the NBA compared to the Avs. That is why if both teams had winning records, the fans would flock back to the Avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
2013 Attendance:

Nuggets - 17,270 per game
Avalanche - 14,935 per game

It's not TV ratings, but it's obvious the Nuggets draw more than the Avs and I believe they're more popular in general in Denver. I'm definitely not a NBA fan but the numbers speak for themselves.
Nuggets are a decent young team (like the Senators) who just went on a fantastic winning streak. If I was Nugget's fan I would consider those attendance numbers pretty disappointing with just a 3k drop off to a rebuilding club who is like the ginger kid of Stan's family.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote