View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Preddownsouth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I agree that as of right now, we're losing the whole situation because we still haven't spent the money that Suter was supposed to get. It still irks me how ownership have come out and said multiple times that we will not be bottom spenders any more, yet here we are in the bottom of the league in spending again.

Trading Suter though, other than his off season rights, is a ridiculous idea to me. Good teams simply do not trade away their top talent when they are in a Cup run year. It just never happens. Trying to win in the playoffs that year was much more important than the risk of losing Suter to UFA. Giving up on Suter, basically tells everyone that we don't want to compete this year and are already cutting our losses. That kind of attitude is how you remain mediocre. At some point you have to "go for it."
I agree that they keep Suter even if he would have told Poile at the All-Star Game that he was not going to re-sign in Nashville. But I think Poile feels misled by Suter. So Poile hung on to the bitter end, not trading his rights. Its always nice to get something over nothing, especially with the pundits saying this draft is a deep one.

I am with you about how the owners talk a big game but have yet to fully come through on it. I do acknowledge they had to come up with a truckload of actual cash to give Weber right away. The uncertainy of this lockout-shortened season I can also see playing a role.

However, if the upcoming UFAs end up hitting the market after the season, I will be expecting Poile to make a run at them.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote