View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I was surprised that people like Joe Buck and other such television broadcasters keep score while they're calling the game. Again, I only do the play by play casually for the forums for leisure purposes, couldn't do that as a full-time job
I do play-by-play for a living; keeping score was the first thing I had to learn about covering baseball. It's especially vital in college and the minors, where they don't have stat monitors that you can readily reference. Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies on the scorebook, too, so one could theoretically take that system on the road rather than having to adjust to someone else's system.

When a broadcaster says, "So-and-so is 0 for 3 tonight, flied out to right, grounded out to short, and struck out looking," he's referencing his scorebook, and will almost always be able to tell you the count when each out was recorded. The guys who are really good can get the pitch counts for each guy on the mound, but I can't keep a train of thought running in the background like that for five or six innings.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote