Old
02-22-2013, 01:41 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Prof summed my thoughts up pretty much but I will add a little:

The circumstances never changed after Murray let Beauch walk. There was a huge hole in the defense from day 1 of that first season with out him. That's bad asset management and bad vision IMO. I'm not necessarily mad that we had to trade back for Beauchemin specifically. My gripe is that we should never have to trade back for one period because Beauch should have never been allowed to walk. That hole in the roster was made because Murray had faith in unproven players. Even if he traded for a different top 4 defenseman I'd still be pissed because just re-signing Beauch would never have allowed that hole to open.

People were worried that we'd have to throw crazy money at Beauchemin because of the deals that were going on. The common thought here was that he'd get at least 4.5 million. He ended up signing for 3.8, and id argue that he woulda stayed here for 3.5 since this has always been his first choice.

Anyway my original argeement a few days ago was that before this season, Murray's job here had been mediocre at best. Still stand by that. Hope the team continues to do well though. Would love for him to prove me wrong and change my views on him entirely.
So what would have preferred? Him to not acquire a d-man that can log big minutes against the opponents best players, put up decent numbers and provide veteran leadership? What was the alternative? Lupul was not working and Gardiner was expendable. You have no idea what Beauch would and would not have stayed here for. Maybe Murph offered him more money but Beauch just wanted to play in the East? Maybe Beauch didn't consult Murph at all. Maybe once he got the offer from Burke he took it. You nor I were there so you can't say Murph could have matched him but didn't. If anything reacquiring affirms that he did want to sign Beauch at those numbers but he said no. He was a free agent after all.

You can't hinder your team because a player got away from you. To hold this against him after all this time is silly. He can't concern himself with (perceived) mistakes he's made in the past. His job is to fill this team with the right players. Period.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote