Thread: Proposal: Ovechkin to Buffalo
View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Clock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Wow people are actually bringing up contracts when Myers was a healthy scratch earlier this year.
Alexander Ovechkin is a 27 year old signed for eight more years at a cap hit of nearly ten million dollars a year. Ovechkin has declined in the past few years. He's still an outstanding player and could still be at the top of the scoring race for many years to come.

Tyler Myers is a 23 year old defenseman signed for five years at a cap hit that's nearly half of Ovechkin's (understanding that his production will never be as high as Ovi's in his prime), signed to a team that is in desperate need of a stud defenseman, which Myers has already proven he can be.

So yes - when you're comparing contracts and actually looking at the needs of the teams, the fact that Myers was a healthy scratch this year doesn't trivialize any of the other information.

I don't like the trade because I think Myers is better than Ovechkin (that's ridiculous), I don't like the trade because I don't think it necessarily makes the Sabres a better team while taking on what is clearly a bigger contract.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote