View Single Post
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City, USA
Some interesting stats on Duchene 2.0
- Tied for 2nd among all centers in takeaways (18)
- Tied for 6th among all centers in blocks
- 8th among all centers with at least 10 points in hits (22) and 1 of only 2 in the group (Stamkos the other) averaging more than a PPG.
- 10th among all centers in faceoff wins
- Tied for 18th among all centers in short-handed time on ice per game none of the others are even in the same ballpark as Duchene offensively (granted we are #21 on the PK so it's not like it's the world's best PK but still...)
- His PP time on ice per game is ranked #53 among all centers...which could lead to the conclusion that his offensive totals are very upwardly mobile
- That leads to the fact that has already been brought up that he is tied for #2 in the NHL among all players in even strength points
The points are nice but what is really astounding are his peripheral numbers like the takeaways, blocks, hits and faceoffs which show an almost unthinkable leap from the erratic, dangling, floating center/winger of last year to a guy, who, stastically anyways, you can make a case for as one of the most well-rounded, does all the little things well and gives max effort, franchise centers thus far in 2013.
So here's a question that may be worth asking. If trading ROR (as much as we love him) means keeping Duchene 2.0, is that another reason to consider trading O'Reilly? In other words, Duchene has responded splendidly to being leaned on as the man at center ice in all situations. No doubt adding O'Reilly back to the mix would cut into some of Duchene's responsibilities. Would that allow Duchene to be an even more potent offensive weapon or is reducing his overall role perhaps harmful to his development?
That may be the ultimate way to come good as an organization from the O'Reilly mess even moreso than a return in a trade...that Duchene's ultimate potential and ability to lead was forged in O'Reilly's absence.
Last edited by Foppa: 02-22-2013 at
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Foppa