View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Effectively yes, fortunately all the bakes after were free so it isn't too much of a concern! Sadly, as hockey isn't too big over here they don't really have the kit for that sort of stuff (e.g. widening).

Have you got any advice for how to do it at home? I know exactly where the spot is on the skate so I don't imagine it would be too difficult?
But that's the thing with the bake though. 3 times should be the maximum amount that you should need to bake a skates (anymore is a big sign that the skate doesn't fit well) because every time you do so, it softens the boot a bit more.

You can actually try and correct it at home, needing nothing more than a basic heat gun (or a good hair dryer, though a heat gun shouldn't be expensive at all) and some common sense (I assume you're relatively handy, so you would know when too much heat is too much etc.). This is a method that I've started using for customers who find a great fit, save for a problem spot. So far, it seemed to have made a great difference for them, in the store at least.

Hopefully you can have about 30min to kill (watch some TV!). What you would want to do is first get ready to put the skate on because once this first step is done, you should put them and lace them quickly (put your skating socks on, skate guards on the steel to protect them etc.). Secondly, take your heat gun (higher setting if you are sure you can be careful or low setting otherwise) and warm the problem spot from the outside (or inside if you can avoid touching the inside of the boot with the gun), being careful to not concentrate the heat on one place, think circular motions. Get that spot warm to the touch and then quickly put on the skate and lace them normally. Thirdly, take the gun again and re warm the problem spot, maybe have it a tad warmer than the first time. Once it's warm, you can put down the gun and start to press in on that area from the outside using your hands. Imagine lightly kneading dough with your palm. What you want is to essentially compress and reform the foams when they're warm using your hands. If you want you can apply light pressure to the area by putting weight on that foot. Re warm the area as necessary. Once all of that is done to your liking (it shouldn't take a lot of working around), sit normally until they too to around room temperature and avoid skating on it for several hours.

If that still doesn't solve your problem, I suggest looking at Superfeet Yellow, which supports your heel and re aligns the foot to a more natural unsplayed position. Doing a search will give you some more insight on it.