Thread: Matt Carle
View Single Post
02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 1276
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No matter how you cut it, there is no earthly way Carle is worth 5.5 million...or more than Coburn, for that matter. A LOT of those guys, besides Wideman, are clearly a step above Carle.

That list combines the good guys with the bad guys. The average falls in the middle, as averages tend to do. Carle himself falls into about the middle of the spectrum; not bad, but certainly not great. He simply doesn't deserve more than the average pay...certainly not 5.5 million.

Edit: Oh, and that isn't all 20 minute defenseman. That's all 20 minute defenseman who've hit UFA. About 20ish guys on 3 million dollar RFA contracts that play large minutes have been cut.
Players are worth what the market dictates, and he was worth more than Dennis Wideman (5.25, signed before him), because he is better than Dennis Wideman.

I still don't know where your edit comes from, because Keith, Jack Johnson, Green, Carlson, Hedman, and probably a couple others signed their deals without ever hitting the open market and were RFA's at the end of their deal. Hedman is the key figure there on how the RFA market is different, since he plays for the same team and got LESS than Carle, which goes to show how much UFA's actually cost (and why Timonen had them up **** creek for his extension).

Philadelphia's Real Alternative

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote