View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Maelpj*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
So many replies to choose from. So I will quote yours since yours gets to the heart of the matter.

But hiya doin' One Sharp Marble.

I will start by saying that my sentiments regarding Eller are related to Montreal, not any other NHL team.

I will repeat again that Eller played a terrible game last night. He played in his comfort zone....the inability to make smart passes killed a power play and stopped a developing odd man rush in its tracks. And these types of plays have been very common regarding Eller through his career in Montreal.

Eller is best suited to be on the 4th line in Montreal. He is not better than Pleks for obvious reasons. His playmaking is well short of DD's. So that leaves two lines for Eller to play on, the third and fourth.

Lets look at the third line. When Gallagher comes back, do you put Eller with Gally and Chuckie? There is a reason both of those players are developing. Brandon Prust is giving them that opportunity. Look at what Prust did last night to help Eller. Would Eller do the same to help one of the Gallys? Hell no.

So leave the line the way it is when Gallagher gets back, right?

WHY? Gallagher has a MUCH larger upside than Eller. Galchenyuk has an even greater upside than Eller. Why should either Gally be moved to the 4th line? They are a bigger piece of the future success for the Habs than Eller ever will be.

So that leaves Eller as the 4th line center.................in Montreal. To do otherwise would be foolish.
Like you, I'm judging the play of Eller objectively and don't see him like the Top 6 foward that everybody on this board seems to think.

But you can still let him on the 3rd line if you move Cole or Gionta on the 3rd line.

Gallagher - DD - Pacman
Bourque - Plek - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Cole
Prust - White - Moen

But then you loose the protection and the energie that Prust bring to the 3rd line.