View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Do you remember when for over half a year leading up to his signing, I was obsessively arguing against it, saying that we aren't ready to contend in 2011-12 and he'll be an albatross on the team long term? I was told that I'm not a psychic and that I shouldn't be predicting that around the age of 33 (when players generally start to get worse), he'll no longer be worth the money?

I was told that we need to go for it now because Lundqvist is getting older. Well, he's still getting older, still without the Cup.

Had we not signed Brad, we could've outbid for Parise and Suter.

Parise - Stepan - Gabby
Hagelin - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Asham - Powe - Boyle

Staal - Suter
McDonagh - Girardi
MDZ - Stralman

Even if we didn't sign Suter and Parise, going with Nash instead, we would have more than enough cap space to sign or acquire a younger center.

The good news is that we can buy him out this or next summer. I'd probably keep him one more year, then send him packing.
Had I been around I would have agreed with you. I hadn't watched Brad much though and everything I read indicated he would transcend age based on his playmaking and intelligence since his game wasn't based on physical attributes. Unfortunately he seems to have a brain degenerating illness or someting. It seemed painfully obvious to me though we would have a useless ass 34 year old 6.6 million dollar cap hit with 4 years to go...I pray to be wrong