Thread: Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion
View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
PaulieVegas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Erik Johnson is severely underrated. The hype with the first pick and all that jazz and nonsense.
You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."