View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think Boychuk was claimed because of his youth, speed and tenacity. Shero probably did his research on Carolina's prospects before they traded Staal, maybe they liked Boychuk enough to claim him.

I don't think it's a matter of Shero picking up guys to see what works.

I really like Boychuk's game and hope he stays with the team.
Boychuk's alright I guess, but he hasn't accomplished much here. So while he hasn't hurt us, neither do I think he's been that effective here. As for claiming someone like Mursak... why not? Bigger than Boychuk. Give it 2 weeks (so 4-6 games?) and send Despres down for 2 weeks to make space. If it doesn't work out, there's absolutely nothing lost. It costs a couple grand to make the waiver claim. Only downside is he's a 550k guy on a 1 way deal - which is up in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
This is a little off topic but I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on kris letang right now? He was our best def coming into the year but now i think its paul martin(and i dont think its close) Letang got demoted off the first pp unit and hes in our 2nd def pairing right now. He seems like hes gonna be one of those guys whos gonna get hurt every year with the physical style he plays plus other teams often target him. If he wants a contract next year for about 7 million is he worth it? I wanna keep him this year because I do think were a better team with him in the lineup but I think he might be a guy pens should think about trading in the summer. If we end up getting a rent a winger this year letang could bring us the long term winger we have been looking for plus we have some young def who should be ready next year.
Letang's issue is that he's not a true #1D. He might be our #1D, but he's not a true #1 guy. He doesn't excel on the PP - and can't QB it, and doesn't excel as a shutdown type. And before people ***** about that definition, I don't think there's more than a small handful of true #1D's in this league. They're very very rare. That said he's very very good, and will likely get 6m on his next deal. Which I'm mostly alright with. So if he's asking for 6.5-7m, I'd let him walk (or rather trade him for something/someone/assets). As I don't think we can afford to try up 6.5m+ on someone who's NOT a #1 guy, when we have to bring in other people to fill the role that he's unable to fill (PPQB/shutdown type).