View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I agree. But the thing is that O'Reilly and Cowen are the same age, and O'Reilly already put up a very good season as a centre and still has room to grow. If he becomes a 60 point Selke level centre it's really hard to argue with that value.

With guys like Borowiecki, Gryba, Wierchioch, Wikstrand, Claesson and free agents it would be a lot easier to find someone to fill Cowen's shoes (Methot already has and more) than to find someone that could bring what O'Reilly does.
I completely disagree.

First off, O'Reilly's going to struggle to ever put up 60 on this team. He's not going to get the PP time to do it. He'd be used a lot more on the PK.

A top pairing 22+ minute a night D like Cowen is far more valuable in my eyes than a guy who might only be a 3rd line center on the team. Even if he is the the 2nd line center, I want that top pairing D.

None of the guys you mentioned can bring what Cowen brings or replace him. There's no one in the system or anyone who will ever hit free agency who can bring his set of tools. Pretty much the definition of a keeper. Karlsson, Cowen and Methot are great pieces to start our cup calibre D. Still need 3 more pieces, maybe 2. Let's not increase that number. I'd rather add more quality D than another center.