View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

vCash: 500
All this arguing over a silly comparison made by Goring. While Goring I believe has a case for the HOF (as does Elias), he made the mistake of choosing the wrong player to compare himself to. The player, I believe, he best matches up to is Jacques Lemaire. Both have similar statistics in regular season and playoffs. Both were second line centers for almost their entire careers. The exception is that Lemaire became a first line center his last 2-3 years when Montreal traded Mahovlich. Prior to that Lemaire played behind Beliveau. Both played excellent defensive hockey while chipping in significantly offensively. Both played the game hard and within the rules. Another major difference is that Lemaire played on elite teams his whole career, while Goring played on poor teams for the first half of his career. Elias is more elite offensively than Goring based on the era he played in. His top 20 finishes prove that. If Goring chooses Lemaire to compare himself to, I think he has a much more solid case and the HOF may take him seriously.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote