View Single Post
Old
02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't really see how Eller is overrated. If there was people saying they think he's the 1st line center of the future then yes, that would be overrating him. I guess saying he's better than Desharnais is overrating him, but I don't really see anyone saying that, a few people are saying they'd rather keep him if you had to keep one, but that's not quite the same thing. If anyone is saying Eller is all that elite, instead of calling us fanboys, please find the quote.

It's hard to call a player overrated when there's such extreme opinions. Most of us "fanboys" think at best Eller could figure it all out and be a Plekanec like player. Keyword being at best, personally I wouldn't bet on him being as good offensively as Plek, since Plekanec is not a player you can easily project, but I'd give him a year or so more in different roles before I'd dismiss it completely.

Then you have people saying he's a 3rd liner at best, or even a 4th liner/the second coming of Jan Bulis. This I disagree with because he's already a solid 3rd liner. Even if he doesn't put together his offense he's not that far off a Dave Bolland type two way player. 30 points in a defensive role is actually a good thing. I wouldn't say that's his ceiling, even now, but I'd be fine with that for him, since I don't want Plekanec traded anyway.

And saying he was used as a grinder last year isn't an "excuse". Actually, at least under Martin, I have no problem with how Eller was used last year. I do have a problem with expectations of 50+ points in that role, because that's not fair.
Fair response.

So what do you do with Gallagher when he gets back?

Who has a higher ceiling? Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Eller?