View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Probably the 60s Leafs dynasty; after that, I don't know, the 1986 Canadiens probably.

I just think that if Elias did what he did (best forward on the 2nd most successful team of the post-dynasty era) and did it for a Canadian or an Original 6 team, the media would be pumping him up as a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.
1986 Habs you have there, possibly. Roy was #1. Maybe Robinson is #2. Or Naslund. But this wasn't really a team that strung together great seasons. They were kind of a default team that won when the Oilers screwed up. They weren't a team with the string of success like the Devils. I'm not sure about the 1960s Leafs though. My top 4 on that dynasty is probably in no particular order Keon, Mahovlich, Horton, Bower. I don't think that both of Keon and Mahovlich are behind Horton and Bower.

Anyway, the issue I have with Elias isn't just this but in comparison to his peers he falls behind greatly in the PPG issue. Let's compare him to two other guys that get brought up a lot with him.

Career PPG:
Alfredsson - 0.95
Hossa - 0.92
Elias - 0.86
not too far behind
Hejduk - 0.80

Now, even in the dead puck era the best stars were averaging more or less a point a game. Modano, Sundin, etc. Alfredsson is the closest one here of the three and he has some warts. Elias was fine defensively but so are Alfie and Hossa who pride themselves in a great two-way game. No advantage there. Does his playoff resume make up for it that much?

Lecavalier has a career 0.85 PPG. Players like Gaborik (0.89) or Richards (0.91) are ahead of him in that category too. Datsyuk (0.98) and Zetterberg (0.94) are ahead of him. This is just one mere stat mind you, but it is an example of something that Elias falls behind in. In reality can we say that Elias has had a career better than Brad Richards? Both of their careers overlapped each others. I honestly can't say that Elias has had the better career. It's close and as it stands right now I don't like the idea of Richards in the HHOF.

So that's just an example out there of the players that are very similar to Elias career wise if not already ahead of him. Would he not open the door for others?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote