View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
#1 Even after a 55 point first season and a 67 point second season, in which he out paced and out played the #1 over all pick for two years straight?

#2 Trying to make yourself feel better here? Speak for yourself and not everyone.

- Yes Duchene's attitude needed work, and he needed to mature a bit.

- No Duchene's work ethic didn't need work. (He played injured the last 20 games of the year so we could all talk **** about him being a third line center and not producing.) His stats would look a lot better without those games played wouldn't they? Would you be good at back-checking if you were playing on a busted knee on one leg and a busted ankle on the other?

Hes using his line-mates better yes, but hes also being given better players to use as well. So it's a combination of growth and what was already there for me. Not some revelation like some people are suggesting.

His attitude has changed, as in hes matured a bit. It's not as if he ever had conditioning issues either. But he is in even better shape...

I'd like to see people admit they were WRONG about him, and not saying they were wrong about his potential and blah blah, excuses and *******s, something lit a fire under him. Just say "I was wrong, and gave up on him too early" anything less is a weak attempt at humility.

I got so fn tired of some people screaming "Trade Duchene!" "O'Reilly is the future!", and those people know who they are.
Knee-jerk reactions are every fan's right. I don't necessarily begrudge them that since I'm prone to them from time to time. I was the self-appointed Duchene Apologist on these boards...but there were plenty of fans who were correctly attributing his setback year to a lack of proper linemates, injuries, etc. Much as I like to pat myself on the back for keeping the faith with Dutchy, not even I predicted he'd rededicate himself to the game with such fervor. That's a very rare thing. People were rightfully blasting Stewart for his lazy, indifferent play his first full year (me included) before he was demoted for one game and suddenly came alive. Since then he's been up and down. In the end, both his detractors and supporters gained some measure of vindication.

Both our top two young centers surprised us this offseason, in good and bad ways.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote