View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 03:26 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yes, I would say that is absolutely right. Vs2 is a good shorthand for comparing players who had equal opportunities to score, but it cannot account for powerplay time and wide differences in talent between linemates. Thankfully, ATD GMs mostly use the metric correctly. We've only just recently started getting into the real checkingliners, but I've seen more discussion of even-strength points regarding checkers than Vs2 numbers.

What I'm trying to say is that I think at this point we've got pretty good metrics for evaluating relative scoring and we seem to know pretty well what they're good for, but nobody seems to actually bother using them. I mean...no offense to nik because I think he was a fine pick to play with Lafleur because he offers certainty, but why was Steve Shutt recently called one of the steals of the draft? Because of his actual accomplishments, or because he had been selected as a fringe top-200 player in the past?

You mentioned this yourself when George's Vagina was drafted, and we'll see it again.
best auto correct ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
You seem to be implying that Kevin Stevens is not a top 400 player since we're on pick 384. pappy had huge influence here. I know a starter on his ATD Championship team that went in the AAA last year.
absolutely I don't think Stevens is a top 400 player.

and yeah, that guy belongs in the AAA, not the ATD.