Thread: Proposal: Pit-Dal Ryder
View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 04:39 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
If all Ryder can return is a 2nd round pick (from a good team) then I'd rather just keep him for our own playoff push.

I don't mean for this to come across as rude Pens fans, just my view from the outside of your team's situation. You're constantly in the thick of things contention-wise because of Crosby and Malkin. You now have a legit goal scoring winger for one of those centers (Neal) but because of the makeup of your team it seems unless or until you guys develop your own scoring winger to compliment what Neal brings to the table, you'll constantly be in search of a little added scoring punch to really make noise in the playoffs and get back to the SCF. Your organization is adept at developing defensemen yet seems to get somewhat opposite results developing wingers.

I know you'd like to have your cake and eat it too, and I'm not trying to over-sell Ryder's abilities, but I would think a guy who is a proven playoff performer that scored 35 goals a season ago would be a pretty tantalizing weapon to add for a playoff run. A mid/low 2nd round pick is not equally tantalizing to me as a Stars fan given that Grossmann, a solid but unspectacular defensive defenseman with an expiring contract, netted a 2nd round pick. Ryder is quite a bit more valuable as a trade deadline commodity than Grossmann.

I understand the desire to pay as little as possible but if the best being offered is a Pittsburgh 2nd round pick I really hope Nieuwendyk either finds a better offer elsewhere or just keeps him for ourselves.