View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Not sure why you would feel bad for him. He is set for life. He would never have earned what he is due to make over his entire NHL career had the Isles leadership not offered him such a crazy contract. The injuries he has sustained still would have occurred without the contract and I expect he would have been out of the NHL by now because of them if he were not making the money that he is.

The thing I will never understand is why the Isles offered such a contract to him in the first place? I mean were they not burned enough by the Yashin deal to know that something like this could happen to them?
It was a gamble for a semi-elite goalie who was just coming into his prime. People forget that he's still only 31. If he hadn't been struck by a ridiculous streak of injuries, he would be in his prime right now, and likely would be one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL, and signed for only a $4.5M cap hit. Had things gone as they seemed likely, the Isles had signed a 25 year old goalie for 15 years, which would include 10 years of prime goaltending, then maybe a little overpayment, or a buyout at the end.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote