Old
02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
to quote myself on the main board
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
mostly it is because Sacco only knows one way to coach a team and has shown very little room for flexibility despite poor results. He was a hard-nosed player in his time in the NHL and demands that type of aggression from his players. His forecheckers dump the puck constantly in order to start an attack, which is one of the least efficient means of scoring goals (clicky). His backcheckers have no real defensive system other than covering whichever man has the puck, making it quite easy to gain the Colorado zone and begin a play.

His choices of players to put on the ice further reflect this poor decision-making, since he continually dresses goons and scrubs over moderately talented NHL players. The best example I can show you is that of Patrick Bordeleau, goon extraordinaire, who has played every Colorado game this season. Note this video of Bordeleau against Bisonette:

where Bordeleau's linemates have gotten the puck deep and managed to get it to the slot, a place where pretty much any NHL player will have a high quality scoring chance, he was in the neutral zone starting a fight. Ridiculous waste of a potential asset to an NHL team. Sacco has also dressed Cody McLeod three years running despite McLeod being abjectly poor at every facet of hockey including fighting. That David Koci ever played an NHL game for the Avalanche is further proof of Sacco's (and, in fairness, the GM's) ineptitude. He kept Matt Hunwick, who played the worst defense I have ever seen an NHL defenseman play, on the roster instead of a decent player in Jonas HolÝs because Hunwick was LD while HolÝs was RD. He played Kevin Porter (who? exactly) on the point of the PP and put a 36 year old Chuck Kobasew on the top line.

I will say that there are several things that Sacco deserves credit for. Under his tenure every single one of Colorado's vaunted young players (including but not limited to Chris Stewart, Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly, TJ Gagliardi, David Jones, Brandon Yip [briefly], Ryan Wilson, Kevin Shattenkirk, Stefan Elliott, Tyson Barrie, and Gabriel Landeskog) has reached or exceeded expectations. I don't think many other coaches could have developed young talent as well as Sacco has done. However, since Duncan Siemans is likely the only real prospect left that looks to be an impact player going forward for Colorado, it is necessary to get a coach with better skills than nurturing rookies. In the same vein, I will complement Sacco in that, unlike a coach like Quenniville, he knows how to create a line where players have chemistry and rarely shuffles up lines that are slumping. Likewise, he has only shown to have a "goalie controversy" once, when JS Giguere was playing quite well and Varlamov was playing pretty poorly. Otherwise, he lets the designated starter play the majority of games.

Sacco is a good coach for a team that needs to get out of the basement. He's not a good coach for a team that needs to move on to its next step in contending for a Cup by assigning a system and responsibilities on both sides of the ice for each player. Since he only knows one way to instruct a team, furthermore, he can quickly become a square peg in a round hole.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote