View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
some time ago Peter Stastny (the one you from your list) said, he sometimes laugh, when he looks to the videos from 80s. And he means now the overall quality of the players. The movement, skills ... His words were, that the game level this days is far far above his years.
You have to remember one thing too, if the common player has improved (and human nature suggests we do that) then the stars would improve too. Peter Stastny himself would be a better skater in today's game then he was 30 years ago because of more training. Every player had the same advantages and disadvantages in the 1980s as Gretzky did. Yet he outclassed them at a mind boggling level. These were all-time greats he was doing this to. The names I mentioned are HHOFers and are at least as good back then as the stars of today are. That was the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I feel very ignorant but why was Gretzky's last dominant year at 30? Seems young to me for a guy that relied on his mind more than physical attributes. Was it injuries?
I meant "dominant" from a Gretzky standpoint. In other words this was the last time he really "lapped" the entire field of competition in the NHL. After 1991 he still had three 100 point seasons, an Art Ross and a legendary Cup run, not to mention leading the NHL in assists three times. But 1991 was one of those years where he did things similar to the 1980s as far as domination. It was his 12th season. I think that's still pretty impressive to be peeling apart the entire NHL that whole time and only having a peer once another generational talent showed up (Lemieux).