View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
patrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
The contract, at the time, was very cap friendly. They were locking up their #1 goalie, the face of the franchise, at what was then the going rate for a real #1 goalie. The expectation was that as the years went on, and salaries in general increased, the salary and cap hit for their goalie would be below average. Without the injuries, right now they would have a 31 year old goalie in his prime, with a salary outside the top 10 goalies. Also, when they signed that contract, they expected to be in a new arena by now. That would have meant more cash flow for increased payroll, with their goalie taking a smaller percentage of the cap every year as the cap increased. Sad fact is they didn't count on repeated non-career-ending injuries, or their arena plans being denied.

I will give a contrary opinion of DP pre-injury. As an Islanders season subscriber, I watched pretty much every game of his career. I always thought he was overrated. His egotistic need to handle the puck landed him in trouble more than it helped his team. There was a hold-your-breath moment at least once a game as he lost the puck. He also rarely made that "wow" save that truly elite goalies seem to come up with all the time. At his best, he was one of the better goalies in the league, but not a great one. In fact, he was clearly the fourth best goalie in NY/NJ, behind Brodeur, Lundquist, and Ryan Miller. His status as an Olympian had more to do with lack of other great US goalies.
Great post. Hit the nail on the head.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote