View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
I've added a key variable, which is a vast improvement in measuring the effect of non-Canadian players. The variable (Xe) is the increase in the scoring avg. of the top 1N due to the presence of non-Canadian players. Players such as Mikita, Hodge, Nolan, Thomas, and Heatley were considered Canadian.

This had some important effects on the model and study in general:

1. It increased the R^2 from .61 to .69. I figured the limits of a model such as this would be to explain close to 70% of the dependent variable, and that has now been accomplished.

2. It reduced Xg (league GPG), which was previously an important and significant variable in this model, to possibly insignificant. I ran the new model with and without Xg, and it didn't really seem to matter. Effects which were previously captured by Xg have now been captured by more accurate and refined variables, such as the newest variable Xe.

3. It allows us to back out this variable when calculating the index numbers, so that the presence of a stronger player pool does not increase the index number (i.e. more better players don't make it look like it was easier for top players to score adjusted points).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote