View Single Post
Old
07-15-2006, 08:49 AM
svetovy poharu

vCash: 500
Many thanks Jukka for the information.

I am looking through the 1924 newspaper archives and have surprisingly discovered very good game story coverage of the 1924 Olympic hockey tournament. I will try and piece together Great Britain's goal scorers for you.

Already I have found discrepancies regarding Canada's (Toronto Granites) leading goal scorer left-wing Harry E. Watson, who is still the record holder of most goals scored in an
Olympic tournament. Some sources list him as having 36 goals, while others list him with 37 goals. Several sources list him as having scored 13 goals vs Switzerland, 11 vs Czechoslovakia, 6 vs Sweden, 3 vs Great Britain and 3 vs USA for a total of 36. While others have him with 37 goals + 9 assists for 46 points.

There are also differences in goal totals for his linemates: centre Hooley (Reginald) Smith (some have him with 17 goals + 16 assists for 33 points, others with 18 goals), and right-wing Bert McCaffery (some have him with 19 goals + 15 assists for 34 points, others with 20 goals). So I am not certain which source is correct, especially since Canada (Toronto Granites) scored a record 110 goals in just 5 games. Three newspapers have different scoring summaries for the CAN-USA and CAN-CZE games, so the error is contained in one of them or perhaps a goal-scoring change occurred which was not properly addressed in the press.

I will continue investigating the 1924 newspaper files and will post here for you any results I find. Thanks again for your help Jukka.

svetovy poharu is offline   Reply With Quote