View Single Post
Old
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
firstemperor

vCash: 500
The one thing I never liked about Luke wasn't his physicality, but it's always been his skating. I just can't see one being a top flight defenseman in the league, as is, without at least moderate->good skating ability (and elite skaters have huge upside in this league). Schenn was a very poor skater, I think he dropped some weight this season but he's still very slow and lethargic. It's always going to be his achillies heel, and even if we are talking a Foote/Hatcher type player, I'd argue they don't translate as well in today's rules and play-style, which may end up hindering his ability even more.

Conversely, I expected JVR to be a horse-type player down low but his skating has been impressive...he's won many races at his top speed. If we're looking at a purely upside perspective, I feel the leafs got the superior talent. Doesn't mean anything if the development curve doesn't follow suit. However, Flyers addressed a large area of need and got a solid physical player that can be groomed into a leadership role down the line. Solid trade for both teams.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote