View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Understood, but Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, and Tony Roper all died in 2000 at non plate tracks. Racing is dangerous. NASCAR should be called out more for the fact that certain safety measures were not taken prior to the 2001 500, and it took the most popular driver dying before they started to give a ****. Earnhardt's death is the only one to result from restrictor plate pack racing. Bonnett and Orr died during the plate era, but were both single car practice accidents.

The two spectators who were in critical condition have been upgraded to stable, according to ESPN ticker.
Don't think I'm not with you on everything you just said. But most of the other incidents tend to be one offs that cannot always be anticipated. While a plate race crash can never be anticipated as to it's outcome, it's guaranteed there will be at least one and it's always a roll of the dice as to how serious it will be. Plate racing itself puts you one step closer to death or serious injury than the "normal" risks of racing.

I know they will never change the Daytona 500 but I'd have no problem seeing them turn the second Daytona race into a road race. And if Talladega doesn't have a road course then race those two races at Barber Motorsports Park.

We can only hope those fans end up alright.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote