View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 01:52 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
I know Couturier is always going to play center, but is it possible the Flyers buy out Briere at the end of the year and give the number 2 center to Couturier and move Schenn to the wing? Having a top 6 of Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier and Simmonds is pretty impressive, with Matt Read in the top 9 for depth...just not sure if Couturier will always be a number 3 center in Philly behind Giroux and Schenn or if he will ever get a chance in the top 6...I think he could put up some big numbers if given the chance.
Schenn has played his best as a center (by far). Giroux plays his best as a center and is bordering on being elite @ faceoffs. Sean Couturier also is a pure center and does his best work playing the center position and shutting down opposing centers like Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos, etc. I wouldn't really want to move any of them to the wing. But that presents a problem, because all three deserve to be 20 min/night players but realistically a team can only have two 20 min/night centers; the guys centering your 1st and 2nd lines. Giroux will always be the #1C and since Schenn is more offensively gifted, I think he'll always be the #2C, which leaves Couturier stuck in the #3C role, where he's constantly see below-average offensive teammates, a ton of defensive zone starts, and match-ups against the opponent's top line nightly.

It's a tough problem to solve, but a nice problem to have If you know what I mean...

But I think eventually, it could lead to Couturier being traded to land a true #1 defenseman. Especially if Laughton comes up next year and shows that he can excel in a 3rd line / shutdown role.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote