View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 12:54 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Seattle in terms of a NHL team has been screwed for years. Failed expansion attempt that would had given seattle a team to ownership issues to arena being redesigned intentionally for basketball only.

I think that failed expansion attempt now correct me if i am wrong would had put a team in seattle and colorado which if been successful Quebec city may not had necessary lost their team.
Colorado did not submit a bid in 1990 (for the proposed 1992 expansion) - when Bill Ackerley (son of Sonics owner Barry Ackerley) stabbed his partners in the back and withdrew his/Seattle's bid during the December BoG bid presentation meetings. The other cites which had applied were Tampa, St. Petersburg, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, San Diego, Milwaukee, Ottawa and Hamilton. Tampa, Miami, Ottawa, and late entry Disney Anaheim were eventually selected - San Jose had already been awarded as a result of the Gunds attempt to move to Oakland and the Minnesota/San Jose Gunds/Howard Baldwin ownership dance.

edit: or were you referring to the failed expansion bid in 1974 (granted and then revoked). Yes, the other city originally selected for that aborted expansion (both teams to start in '76-'77) was Colorado - although I don't know if an expansion team would have done any better than the Scouts-***-Rockies who moved there in '76.

Last edited by kdb209: 02-24-2013 at 01:14 AM.