View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
You didn't explain why or how an IIHF-run "best-on-best" tournament would be more successful than the World Championships.

From your description the only differences would be players from the four NHL teams still playing during the WHC being eligible (big deal), and it being every 4 years instead of 1.

I don't think those are big enough differences for the IIHF to scrap their already successful World Championships for a completely new tournament, one that would be held less often and therefore most likely not make them anywhere near as much money.
To be honest being more successful than the WC shouldn't be that hard. The split in the hockey world in terms of players and fans is roughly 70% NA and 30% Europe. As you know the current WC's popularity is pretty much limited to Europe and even then it is much less popular in Europe than our current best on best tournament, i.e. the OG.

There are a number of reasons the WC in its current format will never be big in hockey's largest markets (NA), so starting with something fresh and new would be required. First of all I would get rid of all-star games and use that break instead for international play. Every four years I would have an extended break for a full b on b tournament, and in the other three years I would use the break for qualification or friendly games. By having full control over the format and most importantly location of these games the IIHF could easily surpass the revenue they collect from the existing WC system.

Quote:
On top of that, how do you get the NHL to shut down for it if they don't want to shut down for the Olympics? If the IIHF pays the NHL to shut down, then they're making even LESS money which is another reason they would have no interest in such a tournament.
The NHL has already shown it is willing to shut down for the Olympics. I think a fair system that the NHL would go for would be by alternating the host city every four years between NA and Europe. I wouldn't mind if some of the revenues from the tournament went to the leagues as compensation for shutting down. I don't think you would have to pay them much, maybe some formula based on the number of players from each league participating in the tournament would work. Again, remember that the IIHF and national hockey federations get basically zero revenue from the OG as it is now.

Quote:
Personally I'm fine with the World Championships, and so are most people considering it has been taking place without a hitch since 1930. Why we even need a "best-on-best" tournament is beyond me. If that's what people want, tell the NHL to end the season earlier. Or make sure the NHL plays at the Olympics.
That's great, but I think the current system could be greatly improved, and since most hockey fans don't care about the WC, I don't think I am alone.

You sure post alot in these threads for someone who is not interested in b on b tournaments. All I can say is that as a fan they are something I enjoy watching.