View Single Post
Old
02-24-2013, 09:57 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
A 2nd rounder would be the starting point. For anything less I'd rather just keep him.
Then the chances of losing him for nothing are very good, and I'm blaming you when every can't stop *****ing about it.

If it's the right contract, I wouldn't mind Ryder coming back. I imagine GM Joe feels the same way, but it probably plays out like the Souray negotiations. They really liked the player, but they believe in their young guys and won't give up big term.

He's going to be 33 years old, and IMO his agent won't allow him to settle for a 2 year deal. Not many teams are willing to give 35+ year old players multi-year deals. When they do, it's typically no more than 2 years. The player and agent gambled on a 2 year contract last time, and it seems to be paying off in a big way. My guess is Ryder and his representation seek a 4 year deal, and Dallas won't be willing to go there. Unfortunately, there's almost always someone else willing to do it.

The major hitch in this equation is the cap going down. You'd think teams would be conservative this summer, but that almost never happens. Plus, amnesty buyouts have the potential to create significant cap space.